Monday, August 8, 2016

July 1, 2016 - VOWSA Canada Day 2km Swim

21st Overall, 6th Female Overall, 1st Female 40-44

Sasamat Lake offered perfect race conditions - warm, flat water - on a cloudy Canada Day morning.  The beach was closed because of high fecal coliforms so, for the first time (I know of), the race had a beach start, which is good for me.  I had a good start and ended up between two other women.  One woman swam off course a bit and the other seemed out of reach, so I let her go.  Maybe this was a mistake?

After the second buoy, on the turn down the far side of the lake, I picked up a draft and made the decision to stay on her feet after testing the water outside the draft a few times.  I think this was a smart choice.  I planned to pass her once out of the water and on the beach, but I tripped and didn't catch her.  In any event, I had a solid swim and was really happy with my technical and tactical performance.

Another great event by VOWSA, topped off with chocolate cake to celebrate Canada's birthday:



No comments:

Post a Comment